It’s a whole new decade, so get your class on a roll for 2020! If you’re looking for fun, educational activities in Tallahassee, Skate World Center has you covered. Our STEM field trips are the perfect combination of hands-on STEM learning and fun, keeping your kids engaged and excited while learning about physics, math, physical fitness, and more.
What is STEM?
STEM stands for science, technology, engineering and math. According to the U.S. Department of Commerce:
STEM occupations are growing at 17%, while other occupations are growing at 9.8%. STEM degree holders have a higher income even in non-STEM careers. Science, technology, engineering and mathematics workers play a key role in the sustained growth and stability of the U.S. economy, and are a critical component to helping the U.S. win the future.
STEM and Skating Go Hand in Hand
Our Tallahassee field trip program offers education and fun, all rolled into one! Professional STEM educators teach students how math and science can be applied to all aspects of life, including fun activities like roller skating.
The lessons (available for grades K-12) are tailored to your group to relate directly back to classroom learning. Each field trip includes a 1 hour STEM lesson, followed by 2 hours of roller skating. This time allows the students to see the principles discussed during the lesson in motion, and gives them some healthy exercise for an added physical education bonus.
What Can Kids Learn on a Roller Skating Field Trip?
When planning a field trip to the skating rink, teachers can choose what to focus on during the visit based on the age and interests of the students and their curriculum needs. The lessons offered can be adjusted to relate directly back to classroom learning, whether the students are in elementary, middle, or high school. Lesson topics include:
- The science behind roller skating; the physics of skating, concepts like velocity, momentum, friction, etc.
- Motion and skating rink design; how the physics of skating work and are affected by the rink; how a rink is designed.
- Music, math, and roller skating; math can help students understand music, and music can make mathematical concepts make sense. Add in the natural dance potential of roller skating, and you have the most fun math lesson of all time!
- Sound acoustics and skating rink design; concepts like sound waves, frequency, amplitude, speed, and direction.
- Engineering magic and lighting effects; from the electrical and mechanical aspect of lighting effects, to lightwaves and how our eyes perceive different colors of light.
- Heart health; the health benefits of roller skating; concepts like aerobic exercise, muscle groups, anatomy, and physical fitness.
Don’t let another year go by without sharing this exciting learning experience with your class! Contact us to discuss your potential field trip or make a reservation at our Tallahassee skating rink.