Although Tallahassee is the capital of Florida, it often gets looked over as a destination because it isn’t immediately next to a beach. Well, we are here to tell you that Tallahassee is full of activities for passing travelers and locals alike. Don’t believe us? We have compiled a list of our top ten favorite family friendly things to do in Tallahassee.
10 Family-Friendly Activities in Tallahassee
- The Tallahassee Museum. Some people’s eyes may glaze over when the read the word museum, but if you give it a try, you may be pleasantly surprised. Kids can learn a lot wandering around a museum. The museum is also surrounded by National Forest. They have a tree top adventure with obstacles and even some Florida panthers.
- Lofty Pursuits is a must to get your sweet tooth fix. They have ice cream, malts, shakes, and an old soda fountain. It’s also a huge toy shop so prepare to spend some time in there if you bring the kids along.
- Cascades Park. This is a large urban park in the heart of Tallahassee complete with walking, biking, and running trails. They even have a play area for children.
- Proof Brewery. We know, who would take suggestions from people telling you to take your kids to a brewery? However, this brewery in Railroad Square Art Park is family friendly with a turf play area and bocce ball court so parents can enjoy a beer while the kids run around.
- The Challenger Learning Center. This is a part of the Challenger Center for Space Science Education international network. A lot of activities are closed to private groups, but their IMAX and planetarium are both always open to the public.
- Gulf Specimen Marine Lab. This is about 30 minutes outside Tallahassee, but it’s definitely worth the drive. They have a bunch of interactive tanks where kids can touch and hold marine life. They also do sea turtle rescue and rehabilitation, so you just may get a special guest visitor.
- Wakulla Springs State Park. This is another one just outside of Tallahassee, but you will not regret a visit. The park is a wildlife sanctuary and Wakulla Springs is one the of largest and deepest freshwater springs in the world.
- Museum of Florida History. Want to learn more about your home state? This is the place to be!
- The Panhandle Pioneer Settlement. There are 18 historical buildings that have been restored, a general store, a blacksmith tour and some animals on the property.
- Skate World Tallahassee, of course! This activity, unlike most of the others, is something you can do on a school night or a rainy weekend. Check out our regular hours and weekly theme nights or our any of our upcoming events.
Whether you are a guest looking for something to do in Tallahassee or a Tallahassee local looking for some new adventures, we hope we’ve given you some good ideas. There is a ton to do in our state’s beautiful capital. Go out and have the time of your life!